If you’re missing some, or even all, of your teeth, don’t worry – you’re not alone! In fact, an estimated 178 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. As much as tooth loss can impact your quality of life, the good news is that modern dentistry has some outstanding treatment options for replacing teeth.
In fact, the only choice for many years was dentures, but as you know if you’ve ever worn them, there are some serious drawbacks. Thankfully, dental implants in Windermere have changed everything. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of implants and whether they’ll work for you!
What Makes a Good Candidate For Implants?
One of the best things about dental implants is that they can be customized to work for a wide variety of patients. Whether you’re missing one, several, or all of your teeth, there’s a solution that can work for you!
Having said that, here are some of the factors your dentist in Windermere will be looking at:
- Bone mass – An implant is a titanium post that’s placed in the jaw that acts as a replacement root. After it’s integrated, or fused, with the jawbone, a crown is attached to complete the restoration. If you’ve been missing teeth for a long time, your dentist will evaluate whether you have enough bone mass to support the implant.
- Gum health – Although implants can’t get cavities like natural teeth can, they still need healthy gum tissue to support them. If you have gum disease, your dentist will likely recommend appropriate treatment before moving forward with implants.
- Tobacco use – It’s always recommended that you quit smoking before getting implants. While the success rate in non-smokers is 98-99%, it drops to around 85% in smokers.
What Are the Benefits of Having Implants?
Dental implants are a superior choice to other replacement options for many reasons!
The crucial difference is that they replace the root of the tooth, which provides the following benefits:
- Strength and stability – Your chewing power will be much greater with implants than other options.
- Maintain bone mass – Implants trick your body into thinking that there are roots present, so you won’t lose bone mass in your jaws.
- Natural look and feel – Implants look and feel more like your own teeth than any other option!
What Will the Initial Consultation Be Like?
If you’d like to find out if implants will work for you, your first consultation will start with a review of your medical and dental history and a discussion of your goals.
Then your dentist will examine your teeth and gums and take a set of images that will show them how much bone mass you have.
Since there’s usually more than one option for treatment, you’ll be given the pros and cons of each treatment plan and will have an opportunity to ask any questions about the procedure, costs and what you can expect.
Having a consultation is a great way to learn more about this procedure in greater detail. When it comes to making the right decision for your oral health, knowledge is power!
About the Author
Dr. Matthew McKissock and Dr. Rupal Thakkar are general, restorative and cosmetic dentists who have seen firsthand the positive impact that implants have on their patient’s lives. They work closely with each patient to determine their unique needs and goals so that they can recommend the best treatment for that patient. If you have any questions, they can be reached via their website or at (407) 909-1099.